Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A true hero




I have been following Randy Pausch's story for several months. If anyone has ever spent time with someone who is diagnosed with a terminal disease, then you know that it is hard to even see past the end of your nose throughout much of the process. My life was turned upside down, my house was a mess, couldn't keep up with kids, work, forms, etc. However, Randy Pausch, a man much too young to die with 3 young children, accomplished so much in his short time dying of pancreatic cancer. His family and friends supported him throughout it all. He inspired millions with his "Last Lecture" talk and book. He encouraged us all to reflect on how we live our lives and change anything with which we are not satisfied. You may not know that Randy also made appeals before congress for more research support in the hopes of a better future for the disease. He was in the hospital and told doctors he had to get out in time to catch a plane to DC and speak on behalf of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. He changed the way people live their lives, gave the disease a face and humanity, and jump-started hope and change for the future of pancreatic cancer. I am in awe of this man and his family and so sorry for their as well as our loss.

3 comments:

kirsten said...

i thought you may have followed him...i guess we could have titled your mom's book "the last margarita" - and will continue to remember her with a smile.

Candy Fowler said...

I watched Randy Pausch's presentation to congress. I wish I could send Ann's essence in a bottle to every member of congress so they could fully understand how important funding is for research on this terrible disease. I guess letters and emails will have to suffice.

Hugs to you, Sweetie
Candy

Anonymous said...

Well said Lisa. His perspective on dying showed great courage and acceptance. I saw that same courage and acceptance in Ann. Although she knew her days here on earth were coming to an end she never lost the desire to live her last days to the fullest and enjoy her favorite things. What a blessing for her to be able to see Janie and Dave marry! I hope the publicity Randy Pausch received will bring great emphasis to the study of this terrible disease.
Love to all the Milikens,
Su and James
PS Loved the previous posting on the gas prices. Great picture.